My writings this year have focused on things "chaotic" but within all the chaos are bright lights. After a recent article in the Gazette about my blog and some of the struggles our family has seen this year, my 19 year old son's comment about the article was that it was about "everybody but him." It was sort of an interesting observation when he pointed out that if you didn't know us, you would think we had only 3 kids and not 4. Thinking about this, I realized that in my focus on some of the struggles, I have perhaps not highlighted some of the bright points, and there have been many. Brendan is a shining light for me and a great example for his younger siblings.
It was just over a year ago, just prior to Alan's job loss that our 2nd child, Brendan graduated with honors from high school. His GPA exceeded 4.0 and he had been accepted to a very competitive college. In addition to that, his Varsity soccer team won the state title that year, adding the icing to his senior year. It was with mixed emotions that I dropped him off at college last August, really it was just my own selfishness knowing that I would miss seeing him everyday. I really can't complain, his school of choice, CC was only about 8 miles away. Fortunately for me, I did get to see him once or twice each month when he would make laundry trips home or go with me to Costco to stock up on dorm snacks.
He finished his first year with outstanding grades and a goal for his future. He applied to and was accepted to be an RA next year in the dorm. Last week he started his summer job, his 4th summer in a row, working for the Air Force football team at the Academy. He is responsible and caring.
Just wanted to give Brendan a shout out! I think you are awesome and I am so proud of you son!
No comments:
Post a Comment