Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Glass Half Full?

My sweet husband is always looking at the bright side of every situation.  He has always been that way.  People have commented to me that by looking at his posts and photos on facebook, it looks like he is on vacation.  To put this in perspective, here is a clip from an email I received from him this morning.  To put it in context, it was suggested that the ITT Network group at Bagram Air Base (BAF) where he has been for the past 3 weeks really wanted to keep him there and there might be a "little" more pay and a promotion involved.  He is supposed to be ending up at Camp Marmal near Mazar-e-Sharif.  We have been weighing the pros and cons:

"I think that Marmal will have better living conditions. Our tent has holes all over it and their is a 6 inch separation between the roof and the outside wall with just a flap that completely opens with wind. My head is 2 feet from the outside wall and I was getting dust and sand in my face all night long... so when it starts to snow here and is cold, it will really suck. Also there is about 1.5 feet between bunks and they took all of the wall lockers out between the bunks to cram more bunks in. There is someone on my top bunk and the tent is almost full now. This is supposed to be transitional... but there are ITT people that have been in here 4 months. Also we have Third Country Nationals in the tent that don't shower or shower in their underwear and the B.O. is horrible... I feel very sorry for these people, though they are making more money at $500/month then they have ever made. They all seem nice, however they "borrow" anything from you like your sandals to shower and flashlight without even asking... just a cultural difference.  I don't know who is at fault here... but there are empty tents all around us with wall lockers and 6 feet between bunks and they are for military only... they only have one tent for contractors. There is no place to sit down at all when I have a day off except for the warrior resiliency center that has 2 sofas and 4 chairs... because they took all the space out of the tent. If you look in an army tent they have the folding chairs like we take to soccer... and room to sit... oh well... that is why I am getting the "big bucks". Also someone stole my camera and I am not going to replace it till maybe I am at Marmal and have a secure spot. 

I believe the Army came in and took over the base from the Air Force this past spring.  I think someone high up has a beef with the contractors and is trying to punish them.  It seems obsurd that they have slightly better fully vacant tents and they can't use them.  Alan also told me that 12 of his fellow contractors who have been in Cargo Containers (3 bunks) for the past 8 months are getting kicked out by the Army and moving into the 100+ person tent that Alan is in.  They are not allowed to take their backpack into the dining facilities, and since they took out all the lockers for them, they really have no place to leave valuables. 

Alan is amazing for taking all this on, he is my hero!  I can't complain.  I hope he can get to his new location soon and that the international contingencies (Germany and Norway) treat him better!

No comments:

Post a Comment